Mollie Adams Diary of her Journey in the Canadian Rockies July 27, 1908

A hard bit of bush, Mary Schäffer Fonds,

Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies (V4527 / PS 1-17)

Castillea Camp.

Monday, July 27.

               Off at 9.30.  We knew the trail would probably be bad, so thought it might take 5 hrs., being about 7 or 8 miles.  But it was 7 P.M. when we made camp.  The trail was a sweet mixture of fallen burnt timber, muskeg, and no trail at all.  It took the three of them half an hour to cut through about 100 yds. at one place.  It looked as if it might not have been used since Coleman went over it in 1893.  We struck the shores of the `beautiful Su-Wapta`  at 6.15 P.M. We were in a patch of green timber, but no feed visible in any direction except across the rushing, muddy river. U tried to cross, but his horse could not go 5 yds in without swimming. So he prospected up the river and W down, and after three quarters of an hour`s wait, decided to camp right there, and drive the horses down to a place where there was a chance for them to get a snack that night. There had been showers sweeping up across the Su-Wapta all day, but luckily they did not reach us to add to our troubles. We were also spared hot sun and bugs, so there was something to be thankful for on this wearisome day.

[Endless Chain], Mary Schäffer Fonds,

Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies (V4527 / PS 1-18)

Hobson`s Choice Camp.

Tuesday, July 28.
               W cut prospecting before breakfast. He found that about 1½ miles down the river on the other side was the big Indian tepee and drying rack camp where the big Brewster out it was also registered which we had seen last year. And an old camp, probably of Coleman’s on this side, with enough feed for us to lay over there a while. U goes up one day’s travel with my B and H. Also the river is in three channels there, and they will have to cross and go up on the other side. It rained all night; let up for breakfast, but began again while the horses were being packed, varied with hail. It only took us 35 minutes to move down --- making a pretty good average with yesterday’s 9 ½ hrs. Cold rain. W remarked that in this country there were 24 kinds of weather for the 24 hours of the day – hot, and cold, and 22 kinds of rotten. They were just going to put up our tent when a hornet’s nest was discovered on the site, as they pulled up a log to clear the ground. Just as well he had not settled ourselves on top of it. Our house was shifted a little to one side and the nest burned out, but hornets continued to frequent our front yard trying to find where they were at. M and I had both noticed ripe strawberries as we came along into camp, so after lunch we took some cups and went berrying. Got almost three cups full after an enormous amount of labor. When my cup was only a little more than half full, however, I had reached the stage when I would only stoop for the largest sized berries, so I did not do my share. They tasted delicious for supper, with sugar and cream. Everybody writing letters busily in the evening to go by the morning mail. Saw a goat sauntering along near the top of the Endless Chain.

Departure Camp
Wednesday, July 29

               Mr B and H did not get off very early, as some of the horses they were to have had strayed away from the bunch, and were found at a distant point, taking in the scenery, about 9 o’clock.  Ricks, Wilcox, Roany, Ginger, Pinky II, The Twins and Charles, go with them.  U. and H. tried the ford before they took them all across, and found it not too bad, but not too good either.  So they all departed off on their way, “and we were left lamenting.”  We took a few farewell photos as they crossed the river.  Pinto almost fell down with U., got him good and wet, and the little horses almost got washed down, but not quite.  We spent the day busily with laundry, cooking (codfish cakes), strawberrying, etc.  U. came back about 6.30 having taken them as far as the bad bit of muskeg where we had quite a time last year.  They passed Camp XIV (Habit’s) about an hour up; and Quicksand Camp.  U. thought the muskeg place where they camped could not be very far below the big green flats.  The trail was quite as bad as last year, if not worse.  Two accidents in the kitchen during the afternoon.  W. made a very superior cake, but while in the act of baking it, tipped the pan out of the reflector and the cake ran on the ground.  Our loss was Muggins’ gain in that case.  The next was worse – the small agate lined cooking pot was washed away as W. was dipping up vater [sic].  I was washing my hands just below and saw it come snailing by, but did not have presence of mind enough to jump in and grab it.  So we shall have the pleasure of eating rusty cornstarch again soon.


Postingan populer dari blog ini

Mollie Adams Diary of her Journey in the Canadian Rockies August 5, 1908

Mollie Adams Diary of her Journey in the Canadian Rockies, August 7, 1908

Mollie Adams Diary of her Journey in the Canadian Rockies, August 15, 1908